At Ashton St. Peter’s Church of England VA Primary School we aim to:
- Follow the Letters and Sounds Programme in Reception and Year 1 (and Year 2 from 2020-2021)
- For the academic year 2019-2020, Year 2 will continue to follow the Sounds Write programme, to ensure completion of all phases
- Addtional support is porvided in Year 2 for those who did not achieve the phonics standard in Year 1
- Establish consistent practice, progression and continuity in the teaching and learning of phonics knowledge and skills throughout the school
- Differentiate spelling and phonics work according to the individual needs of children, so that they are challenged and can experience success.
- Give children word work strategies that will enable them to become fluent readers and confident writers across the curriculum.
We aim to implement this in the following ways:
In Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1:
- High quality phonic sessions are in place in Reception and Key Stage 1. These are enhanced through a multi-sensory teaching approach, with an awareness of different learning styles including visual, auditory and kinaesthetic.
- Phonic work is taught explicitly, frequently and regularly, with and without print following ‘Sounds-Write’ Programme.
- Reinforced within the reading scheme through phonic reading books such as Jelly and Bean
- Specific differentiation in place for all ability groups, based on ongoing formative assessment
In Key Stage 2:
- Word work taught explicitly and regularly to all pupils (not just phonological work and spelling patterns).
- Children will be taught about the structure of words (morphology) to guide their spelling, e.g. that ‘kindness’ belongs to a whole group of words ending in ‘-ness’ and this ending is always spelt with a double ‘s’.
- Teachers will apply the discipline of ‘overlearning’, by revisiting and practising words.
- Little and often is the most effective method when learning spellings.
- Pupils who still need extra support with phonic work will be identified and targeted for intervention strategies at the appropriate level when necessary.